10 March, 2010

Light & Bright + Wedding Fun

Spring is coming! The snow in Michigan is finally melting and temperatures are currently getting high as 50! That may sound cold to some, but that is nice in the Mitten. It's even nicer when in the 60s and everyone can wear shorts/skirts/dresses. I can understand how people may find that odd to be nice in Michigan when that temp. can be super cold in other states. When you have to endure Michigan weather for a long time, you learn what cold actually is. Okay, I'm not a meteorologist and I'm not going to lecture on weather in this post. I want to share what I have been up to for the past couple weeks.

This past Saturday my friends Alycia and Mitch FINALLY got married! The small and intimate ceremony was held in a historic train station in Durand. It was very lovely and sweet. It went a bit fast, well I thought. (I've only been to two weddings prior and one of them I was too young to really remember it.) They had a guitarist play them down the aisle. The two wrote their own vows - Mitch's was more on the funny side, and Alycia's was very sweet. Mitch might find this a little embarrassing, but he did tear/choke up when he was reading his vows. I'm sure I'm not the only person that feels this way, but seeing a man cry on his wedding day tears me up a little. I think it's very sweet. I did not cry during the ceremony, but I did tear up. I'm just so happy and proud of the fact that they found love and each other at such a young age (Alycia 20 & Mitch 22).



They have been together for 5 years and engaged for a year. I've been in and out of their lives during high school, but the past year or so our friendship got a little stronger thanks to a photojournalism project. I focused on their young love and their will & wait for the big day. This project caused me to hang out with the couple more, and I was pleased to. I got to spectate how hard of a struggle it was for the two to save their money, work long hours, maintain social lives, and attend school as they planned for their wedding. I was afraid that their wedding would keep getting postponed. Now they're hitched and I feel that our friendship is blossoming; Alycia & I becoming a little bit more closer each time we see each other. (Which is good considering I don't have that many friends now-a-days.) I was very honoured to be invited to attend the ceremony.


The sign in front of the reception.


The first dance as a married couple. It sort of reminded me of those silly slow dances at prom that I always felt awkward doing.


The cute bird themed wedding cake. There were white lights, branches, purple flowers, and bird houses everywhere.


Of course, a photo of me dancing. I can't remember what song Shannon and I were dancing to, but when we saw Erin coming 'round with her camera we did our best of poses. I did my best to dance like a Caucasian. There were points that I was just putting too much hip and I felt out of place, so I had to bring it down a notch. I had to be appropriate. :} I told my mom this and she laughed & said "Shake what your mama gave you!" Yeah, I should shake what my Puerto Rican mama gave me.

I'm a little bummed that I didn't take as many photos as I planned to, but that just means I was having fun, right?

Here are a couple photos of what I made for Mitch and Alycia. I actually gave them two gifts, one for Alycia's bridal shower and another for the wedding day. These are from the second gift:

"I Do" heart shaped pillow I embroidered and sewed,




and this embroidered & framed 8"x10" piece inspired by one of their engagement photos.

I wasn't too thrilled with the end result of this piece. I much prefer the actual photograph and my drawing of it, but I did put a lot of time and work into this. I'm pretty sure they'll love it when they open my present, but I just wish it looked exactly like my drawing. Bicycle tires are such a pain to embroider.

There were a couple more things that I made for them, but I forgot to photograph them. I'm anxious for the couple to get back from their honeymoon and open my present!

Is anybody anticipatin' some wedding(s) in the near future?

<3 J.Loo

P.S. I would have posted photos from the bridal shower and the bachelorette party, but I don't know if anybody would be interested in that.

1 comment: