19 November, 2009

Etsy Challenged

I figure most people are familiar with the website etsy.com. I've had an account with the site for hmm.. about two years? I have never posted anything on it. I have plenty of homemade items up for sale that I shouldn't hold onto anymore. Putting items in my shop was on my to-do list for the summer. I have yet to do it.

I can explain why I've taken so long to get to the point where I can stock the shop, but haven't actually gotten to do it yet. I've been very busy with school (full time) and working two jobs, so that delayed me from working or even getting around to applying for a Paypal account. Also, there was like two weeks were my Paypal account was screwy and I couldn't figure out what I did wrong, and once my mother corrected it I had to wait forever for it to be officially running. But now.... What is taking so long?

I have recently come to the conclusion that I am afraid to post anything in my etsy shop. I am afraid of two outcomes -- "What if I fail?" and "What if I'm a success?". I've seen lots of videos and read interviews of successful crafters advising that new crafters should not be afraid and do what you love to do. I do love making treasures, but that still leaves that possibility of "what if?". I have to remind myself that I am running out of room to store the treasures I make and that I can't expect it to be a big hit once I start selling. Plus it's that time of the year again. I've been too cowardly to take advantage to sell my treasures to those that need to purchase presents in the past, so this is the year that I need to sell. I would be a fool to not post anything now. Especially now that I'm a bit more educated on the selling process and I'm confident in most of the things I make people will like/adore/love.

So a little bit later today, I am going to finally post my first item in my etsy shop. This is going to be my first item:


Mr. & Mrs. Face House wall hangings

They are made of wood (4" x 4") and acrylic paint. Hand painted, of course, mounted with 1" picture hangers on the back so they can be hung anywhere. They sure do adore each other.

<3 J.Loo

No comments:

Post a Comment