30 October, 2009

Project Success + Halloween Hype!

So I finally did it, I have successfully crocheted something. My first self-crocheted hat/beret! Even more awesomeness added -- it only took one day to make it!



Side view with the buttons added for extra cuteness:



I've been a knitter since I learned during my sophomore year in high school, but I've always wanted to know how to crochet. Unfortunately my Great G-Ma Peggy didn't know how to when she taught me how to knit. It looked just as easy as knitting, but for some reason I was intimidated by it so I never went into learning. For the past few years I've looked into numerous books, tutorials, and videos on learning how to crochet. I've also attempted to crochet numerous times. All of those attempts ended in failure. I could just not get it. Something about the images and lack of description/explaination has left me in the dark when I tried to crochet. I think something about the point of the view left me confused.

Until recently I found a video from ThreadBanger on how to crochet a hat. It's an old winter video, but I love watching all of their project videos. The video explains how to do it clearly, and the best part is that it's shown from Corinne/the crocheter's view. After watching the video over a dozen times to fully absorbed the concept of crochet, I practiced. Then after practicing, I went FULL FORCE and crocheted my hat nonstop.

I'm really excited that I made my new hat and it really inspires me to continue with crocheting. I think I'm going to make a matching cowl scarf and then make a granny square blanket! Here's the video if you're interested in learning how to make the hat:



In other news, HALLOWEEN IS TOMORROW! I'm super excited! I'm going to a Zombie Prom with my friend Katie at her school. There's even going to be a zombie walk at the start of it like Michael Jackson's "Thriller" music video. I was planning on being a zombie prom queen, but then I changed my mind to be a Dia De Los Muertos calavera (Day of the Dead Skull). So I'm wearing my prom dress from senior year, lots of face make up, and other ghooly bits. Katie is going to be a zombie. We're gonna be one hawt dead couple.

Here's some music to get you in the Halloween mood (if you aren't already):



Do They Know It's Hallowe'en? by the North American Hallowe'en Prevention Initiative a.k.a.

Karen O of Yeah Yeah Yeahs , Win Butler & RĂ©gine Chassagne of Arcade Fire , Beck , Buck 65 , David Cross , Liane Balaban of Dessert , Devendra Banhart (with Noah Georgeson, Jona Bechtolt & Luckey Remington) , Elvira, Mistress of the Dark , Feist , Gino Washington , Syd Butler of Les Savy Fav , J’aime Tambeur of Islands , Malcolm McLaren , Nardwuar the Human Serviette , Peaches , Dntel , Jenny Lewis & Blake Sennett of Rilo Kiley , Roky Erickson , Chris Murphy of Sloan , Asya & Chloe of Smoosh , Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth , Russell Mael of Sparks , Subtitle , Steve Jocz of Sum 41 , Tagaq , Anna Waronker of that dog , Dan Boeckner & Spencer Krug of Wolf Parade , Adam Gollner of We Are Molecules , Nick Diamonds of Islands , Steve McDonald of Redd Kross and Joey Waronker

No comments:

Post a Comment