13 April, 2010

Thrifty Treasure

I haven't documented any of my thrifty finds in such a long time. Feels like years. I have so many mugs, vintage cameras, fabrics, and clothing that I have accumulated when I started this thrifting hobby back when I was fifteen. I thought I'd share with what I found recently.

When Alycia visited me last week we went to a Salvation Army in Utica. It wasn't the one I thought it was, but a new one. It was quite large, and everything was over-priced. Mostly everything was newer and I don't think I would be going back to it again. Here is what I did manage to find: embroidery hoops, a brown braided belt, and a hard covered version of To Kill A Mockingbird (it has pictures!).



Yesterday while I was still in Ann Arbor for work (for the weekend) I went to their Salvation Army. The last couple times I tried to go to the store it was on a Sunday and, of course, closed. From the frequent trips to that store last year, I learned that Mondays are the BEST days to visit that branch. I kind of splurged, but I made a lot of great finds. My thrifting fix was satisfied....For now.




YMCA Camp Minikani mug -- I fell in love with the logo


The purse is Nine West brand, and it grabbed my eye because it looks like a picnic basket. It even has brown gingham lining. How is that not a picnic?


When I saw the pancakes on the mug I knew I had to have it. Who wouldn't want a mug of pancakes? The mug is actually from the Food Network. The kitty cat mug I got for my sister. I already have my own awesome cat mug.


Six cute jars to hold my buttons + things and a roll of alda needlework material still in the package.


I was looking for a nice casual button up, and this embroidery attracted me. Plus, I figured there is something like this for sale at Urban Outfitters for like $50 or so.



The blue striped fabric and the white with blue flowers are actually pillowcases. The vintage blue with flowers is a bed sheet, and the brown fabric, well, I'm not quite sure what it is. It kind of feels and looks a little like burlap, but I know it's not burlap. I've worked at a fabric store before and I don't believe I've felt anything like it. I don't want to say it's a tweed, but if you know please let me know.


I love the colours of this zig-zag afghan.

I'm thinking that this week I'm going to start using some of the materials for my crafts and probably some items to sell for either my etsy shop or the craft fair I'm vending at. I'm hoping to thrift some more, but I think I need to expand my store options. I find my best treasures in Ann Arbor and Flint. I'd like to find more my area, but I don't know how. I've looked on the internet and no success. Any ideas? Should I not stick to the non-profit chains like Salvation Army and Goodwill? Where are the some of the places you like to go?

<3 J.Loo

P.S. I'm sorry about another late post. My allergies have been driving me crazy and the only medicine we have in the house is Benadryl and it knocked me out for three, almost four hours. I probably would have slept the rest of the day if I didn't force myself to stay awake.

1 comment:

  1. aw, i hope your allergies calms down soon! to suddenly get knocked out is not the greatest feeling.

    what great finds! i LOVE the pancake mug, and everything else! i need to go thrifting soon, although i've never been as lucky as you. :)

    i'm looking forward seeing your new crafts!

    ReplyDelete